BSAVA PetSavers offers partial funding for a Postgraduate Student to carry out a PhD research project in companion animal science.
We will award up to £80,000 towards the following costs:
- Postgraduate student stipend at BBSRC standard rate (students with a veterinary degree qualification are entitled to a higher rate)
- Payment of relevant institution fees
- Research equipment and consumables purchases
- Travel expenses for the postgraduate student
Up to 30% of our contribution can be used for research staff costs, which must be essential to the success of the studentship and justified in the application form.
The application must be made by the prospective academic supervisor (the grantee), and the institution that they belong to is responsible for securing any remaining funding required to cover the postgraduate student’s work on the project.
We have removed the requirement for at least one applicant to be a qualified veterinary professional, but expect applicants to have a level of veterinary experience appropriate for the project. The use of experimental animals is not permitted in any work funded by BSAVA PetSavers. This includes work on tissues derived from experimental animals. Projects must be undertaken within the UK.
Grantees are welcome to apply for funding which either names the prospective PhD student, or before advertising for a prospective student. The funding decision of the grant awarding committee is final.
|The grant call has now closed and the funding decision will be made in February 2024.
**Our grant application form and terms and conditions have recently been revised. Please make sure to access the latest versions under Useful resources below.**
How to apply
- Complete the application form (below – making sure to fill in the checklist at the back of the form, provide the names and contact details of three reviewers with whom you have no conflicts of interest, and provide truncated CVs for each grant applicant).
- Obtain a letter of support from your head of department or practice principal.
- Obtain, or at the very least apply for, ethical approval for your project and provide supporting evidence of this.
- Complete our terms and conditions (below) by obtaining signatures from the main applicant (supervisor) and authorised representative of the institution.
- Email all documents to firstname.lastname@example.org.
PhD report form – this is for successful applicants to use once research has commenced
If you have any questions, please contact us on the email address above.